Hiding and showing camp info
Field Science Camp
Dates & Locations
Our most popular camp for younger kids
|June 24-28||9:00am - 4:00pm||Monday - Friday||Location||Full | Waitlist Available|
(Scroll right to see the full table)
Frequently Asked Questions
The drop off for the Colorado Springs location is Catamount Institute at 740 W. Caramillo St. Colorado Springs, CO 80907.
In Colorado Springs at Catamount Institute drop off is at 9:00am and pick up is at 4:00pm. They will then ride in the van to Aiken Canyon Nature Preserve south of Colorado Springs.
- For this day camp, please pack a snack, lunch and water bottle for your camper each day.
- Please pack any and all medications the campers may need in their original containers with prescriber notes.(See additional note below)
- Campers will be outside so we recommend they put sunscreen on in the morning before camp and bring a bottle to reapply as needed throughout the day.
- Also have your camper wear or bring a brimmed hat, rain jacket, tennis shoes or hiking boots. Campers will be outside exploring doing field studies so please send them in clothing you don’t mind getting wet and muddy. Sometimes an extra pair of socks can come in handy as well.
Aiken Canyon is one of the last high-quality examples of the southern Front Range foothills ecosystem. The preserve is composed of a mosaic of habitat types, including shrublands, tallgrass prairie meadows, pinyon-juniper woodlands, and mixed coniferous woodlands.
Conservation targets at the preserve include the following:
- Canyon systems
- Foothills riparian systems
- Lower montane shrublands
- Shrubland birds
- Tall grass prairie butterfly community
In 1991, The Nature Conservancy signed a 99-year conservation lease, giving it exclusive right to manage 1,080 acres of state land. Since then, The Nature Conservancy has acquired another 541 acres, bringing the entire Aiken Canyon Preserve to 1,621 acres.
Given its proximity to Colorado Springs, the preserve is a strategic location for engaging the public in the Nature Conservancy’s mission.