Work with us!
Catamount Institute is seeking applicants for the Executive Director position.
Share your passion for the outdoors, bring in resources, and support an incredible staff.
We are seeking applicants
Join the team today!
This is a dynamic, fast-paced role that continues to evolve alongside our organization and team. No two days are alike, and the work ranges from the big picture to granular details.
This position is located in Colorado Springs, CO, and will office out of the Beidleman Environmental Center located at 740 W. Caramillo St., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
REPORTS: The Board of Directors
COMPENSATION: $65,000 – $85,000 annually depending on experience
- Vacation, Holiday, and Sick Leave
- Healthcare stipend
- Life Insurance (paid by org)
- Must be 21 years or older
- Able to articulate why the mission, vision, and work of Catamount Institute matters.
- Knowledge and passion for ecological stewardship.
- A four-year degree from an accredited institution in a relevant field or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience in fundraising and development.
- At least 3 years of experience managing and motivating professional staff and volunteers.
- Non-profit organization experience.
- Experience working collaboratively with and reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- Proven record of building relationships with a variety of constituencies: Board, staff, members, donors, volunteers, municipal and state officials, media, scientists, business leaders, and the general public.
- Experience with office computer applications.
- Experience managing projects and budgets.
- Ability to work in non-standard workplaces.
- Ability to often work evening, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events.
- Background check required
Leadership & Administration
- Steward of Catamount Institute in fulfilling its mission.
- Provide leadership to the organization and work with the Board and Staff to maintain the highest performance standards possible.
- Foster effective teamwork between the Board and the Executive Director and between the Executive Director and the staff.
- Oversee policies, recommends changes, and implement objectives set forth by the Board.
- Cultivate organizational growth and strategic planning.
Participate with the Board in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Maintain Colorado nonprofit and Federal 501(c)(3) legal requirements.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of CI’s programs.
- Support Board recruitment and development.
- Develop the organization as a learning community, keeping abreast of and sharing trends in science, experiential and environmental education, and community initiatives.
- Provide insight for continuous development to Board and Staff.
- Provide insight for program development and Staff resources.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
- Work with School Districts to promote educational partnerships and ensure financial resources.
- Oversee lease negotiations, contracting, and day-to-day operations.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property finances, goodwill and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carry appropriate and adequate insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and staff understand the terms, conditions, and limitations of the insurance coverage.
- Develop, oversee and implement annual fundraising plan (including budget) with the appropriate Board Committee and staff.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, acknowledge, and steward individual donors, foundations, and corporations as dictated in development plan and modified as needed.
- Prepare proposals, project plans, and final reports for grants and fundraising documents.
- Oversee strategy and implementation of special appeals, mailings, and events.
- Work with the Board of Directors, committee members, and others to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization.
- Oversee donor database management.
- Continue grant plans as budgeted.
- Rate and rank donors.
- Present annual goals to the Board of Directors and regularly report on metrics.
- Serve as primary spokesperson to maintain high community awareness of Catamount Institute.
- Identify and participate in appropriate community initiatives and strategic partnerships.
- Manage public relations and internal communication and ensure the organization’s marketing and branding activities align with the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Develop ambassadors of the Board of Directors and Staff to become better spokespersons in the community in order to maintain elevated community awareness of Catamount Institute.
- Create annual budgets with input from Board and Staff and suggest periodic changes as circumstances dictate.
- Maintain strong financial management and accountability.
- Monitor monthly cash flow.
- Ensure Catamount Institute operates within budget and available resources.
- Ensure appropriate controls and systems are in place.
- Approve all financial disbursements.
- Make organizational adjustments when needed.
- Review financial statements with Board Treasurer and Staff.
- Oversee job descriptions and evaluations for each staff member with the School Programs Director.
- Oversee the staff to ensure program goals and objectives are carried out with the highest professionalism and performance standards possible.
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage applicants to submit their materials sooner rather than later. This position will be open until filled and will be removed from our website once it is filled (if the posting is still up, you can and should still apply!).
No phone calls, please. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.