application closes on July 31st
application closes on July 31st
Full-Time Environmental Educator
Overview: Catamount Institute is hiring for the position of an Environmental Educator. We are looking for an individual who demonstrates a commitment to excellence, is detail oriented, is adaptable, and a passion for connecting kids to the outdoors and youth development. Must have experience in education and ability to work with a high functioning team. Lastly, we are a fast-paced, dynamic, progressive, and innovative team committed to growth and challenging the status quo looking for just the right fit.
Colorado focuses on increasing environmental literacy for PreK-12 students and implementing the goals outlined in the Colorado Environmental Education Plan. The Environmental Educator works directly with teachers, schools, and environmental education providers to support them in expanding reach and increasing impact of EE programming, while providing access to equitable learning experiences for all students. This position is located in Colorado Springs, CO at the Catamount Institute. Catamount Institute achieves our mission to connect kids to the outdoors through outdoor education and adventure programing. We serve over 8,000 youth a year from PreK to young adults.
Summary: The Environmental Educator will support programs including field trips, after-school clubs, multi-week in-school experiences, summer camp, community events/ programs, weekend events, teen leadership experiences, and more. Lesson plan development, communication, and collaboration with education staff are required to prepare for all programs. The Environmental Educator will work closely with a team of educators including full-time staff, seasonal staff, fellows, and interns. They will report directly to the Director of Operation and Director Education through the vision and guidance of the Executive Director.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities):
Environmental Educators develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that will create progress for Catamount Institute’s goals. These duties include:
- Facilitate and lead year round programs including summer camp
- Support school programs including: field trips, in-school, afterschool, weekend, and occasional 2-6 day overnight programs
- Effectively collaborate with Catamount Institute staff to meet organizational goals
- Develop and improve program resources including lesson plans, activities, and materials
- Regularly meet with the Director of Operations, Director of Education, and Executive Director to review educational program, goals, and performance
- Track progress and collect evaluation data for the program’s performance measures
- Attend all required orientations, meetings, and trainings
- Collaborate with Catamount Institute staff to evaluate and report on youth programs
- Assist with photography and videography portfolio
- Prepare marketing plans for existing programs which include timelines and contacts
- Attend fundraising and tabling events
- Other duties as assigned
Physical, Emotional, and Intellectual Demands:
- Ability to serve in an outdoor setting in various weather conditions for up long periods of times (including overnight)
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity in education and the workplace
- Willing to engage with youth, community members, schools, and donors
Start Date: August 14, 2023
- 2 – 5 years of education experience
- Adaptable and energetic, quick learner under new circumstances
- Ability to collaborate with team effectively
- Ethic of national and community service and a strong desire to create positive change
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer literate
- High school diploma or GED required
- Ability to pass criminal history checks required
- Reliable transportation required
- U.S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required[ED2]
- Salary starts at $17.39 per hour
- Paid time off
- Sick time
- Health insurance stipend for qualifying staff
- Retirement plan for qualifying staff
Diversity and Equal Opportunity: Catamount Institute shall not discriminate against any employee, volunteer or program participant on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, political affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, gender expression, marital, parental, veteran or military status, political service, or membership, participation or association with any employee organization. We provide equal employment and volunteer opportunities to all individuals based on relevant qualifications and abilities.
How to Apply: If you are interested in applying please click on the ‘Apply Today” and complete the application. If you have any questions please contact Janelle Ross, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org.